by Roy Dunster
Anyone has the right to start a petition. However, when it’s as misleading as the one about the equipment for the 2024 Sailing Olympic Games, it deserves a response.
Some of the impressions that you might have from the petition motivation:
1. Our sport is under imminent threat!
2. The very future of our sport is at risk!
3. Accessible classes like the Laser Radial will be excluded from the Olympics!
4. Up to 8 of the 10 current Olympic classes will be dropped for Paris 2024!
5. The above will crush the dreams of countless aspirant Olympians!
6. The format under discussion sees the Finn, 470 Men and Women, Windsurfer Men and Women, Laser and Laser Radial all possibly dropped from the 2024 Olympics! (for the record, that = 7, not 8 classes…)
7. The range of sailor weights and body sizes will drop further!
That’s nice copywriting… However, here’s the reality:
READ THE FULL REPORT HERE: Response to World Sailing Petition_110518_final_v1