Cowes Classic Week. AP over A displayed

Durban Flyer.
pic by Rick Tomlinson

Campbell Alexander & Jeremy Kriek racing off Cowes.
pic by Rick Tomlinson

This message was relayed to all competitors yesterday including the Old Gaffers from Durban sailing in the Flying 15 Fleet.

The decision to cancel all racing on Thursday (20 July) was taken after extensive consideration of all information available and in the light of wind strength forecasts for the afternoon. Having consulted a range of forecasts, all indications are for a minimum wind strength of some 20 knots with gusts well above that.

In addition, professional forecasts are showing a building situation through the afternoon, including potential gusts in excess of 40 knots.

Three race committees had put to sea and monitored conditions for a period of well over one hour; they reported unacceptable and unsafe sea conditions which were considered unlikely to abate until well into the afternoon, even with the turn of the tide.

As a result it was decided that there was no alternative than to cancel racing for today

With today (Friday) being the final day our Old Gaffers will be hoping for a few more races as they sit in 2nd place overall, and have a RTD (retired) they need to discard. So racing today is critical.

RESULTS HERE