Tina Plattner won her first 52 SUPER SERIES race yesterday steering Phoenix, and now lies in 3rd spot overall in the series being sailed in Croatian waters in a day of light winds. This too in a highly competitive fleet full of some of the best sailing stars on the international sailing circuit.
It was the third race she won, and this is how it was described:
Race 3 Once again in the NW’ly light breeze there was no one side of course, set off Zadar town, which paid off. The early left was good but the right came in strong from half way up the first beat.
With Ed Baird calling tactics Phoenix were clear ahead at the first windward mark and, as the pack tussled behind, were able to sail through the finish line with a decent lead over Platoon which only just got the better of Quantum Racing.
Of their first win in their first season on the 52 Super Series Tina Plattner said:
“I am a little bit lost for words that we have done so well so quickly here, I have to thank the team for getting where we have got to. Everyone on the team is really upbeat and excited. For me it is going a lot better than I expected, but it is very shifty and that makes it easier if you are not right up there immediately. But we are taking it a day at a time.”
Results after four races:
1. Luna Rossa (ITA) (Patrizio Bertelli) (1,2,5,3)
2. Platoon (GER) (Harm Müller-Spreer) (5,5,2,2)
3. Phoenix (RSA) (Hasso/Tina Plattner) (3,7,1,6)
4. Sled (USA) (Takashi Okura) (6,4,7,1)
5. Provezza (TUR) (Ergin Imre) (11,3,4,5)
6. Alegre (USA/GBR) (Andrés Soriano) (2,9,9,4)
7. Quantum Racing (USA) (Doug DeVos) (9,6,3,7)
8. Gladiator (GBR) (Tony Langley) (7,1,11,11)
9. Azzurra (ARG/ITA) (Alberto Roemmers) (4,10,10,9)
10. Paprec Recyclage (FRA) (Jean Luc Petithuguenin) (8,8,8,10)
11. Onda (BRA) (Eduardo de Souza Ramos) (10,11,6,8)